John Deere D100-D110 Lawn Tractor

The D100-110 is an entry level tractor for homeowners. My yard has bermuda grass and, while a reel mower would be better for that golf course look, the D100 has done an excellent job. It has an even cut and operates well on the bumpy terrain. Our yard, while flat, has bumps where it could have been graded better before laying the sod. But, knowing those areas and shifting to a slower speed, creates an even cut across passes.

Steering the tractor is easy and it has a nice turning radius. The ride itself is comfortable with an adjustable seat for taller/smaller people. The throttle is typical of all tractors with the choke and run speeds. I tend to keep the throttle high and shift to a lower speed to get a better, more even cut (no surprise here).

Update: I bought a couple of attachments since my initial purchase. 


  • Bagger (about $300) - It works well and catches the grass clippings, but is hard to attach to the outlet for the mower deck. To keep the dust from the clippings down I always wet the bags - both inside and out - with a garden hose before I start cutting.
  • Mulcher  (about $30)- I've attached a mulcher cover which forces the clippings back into the blade deck. That works well as long as you're not cutting a substantial amount of height off the grass.
Pros:
  • Reasonable price, 
  • Easy to operate, 
  • Sturdy for light use, 
  • Good turning radius, 
  • Comfortable seat.
Cons:
  • Takes some time to get used to the clutch, 
  • Difficult to clean mower deck (as with all mowers of this type), 
  • Gear shift is somewhat rigid, 
  • Blade operates in reverse, but must hold button to keep blades turning.  Minor for me as I don't operate in reverse for prolonged periods.
Price: Early in the spring is the best time to buy as the big box stores typically have this item on sale. I've found prices from $1,100 to about $1,700. When I purchased my tractor the store gave a free lawn cart that attached to the back of the tractor. I've put thousands of pounds of dirt in it over the years.
Recommendation: All-in-all, it's a quality entry level tractor for the homeowner. My yard is approximately 3/4 of an acre and the tractor has held up nicely. Change the oil at least twice per year and replace the oil filter. When you are finished, use the garden hose to wash off the clippings from the mower - especially the blade deck. As always, wear eye and hearing protection. You'll be glad you did!
Related Links:

Do you have a John Deere tractor? We love to hear your experience with it.


Comments

Popular Posts